Monthly Archives: July 2013

Weekly Update.

Here we are..it’s passed almost a month from the beginning of my OPW internship and this week we have had our first OPW meeting on GNOME #opw channel on IRC. We have had the chance to introduce ourself to the community and to the other women. Each of us has reported the efforts, the goals and the work made until now :). It has been a useful way to connect each other and write about our experience. I wanna really thanks all the moderators that are making this possible ūüôā

Now coming back to my weekly work…

QA Activity

This weeks I’ve worked on bug triaging, I took part at

  • Testday and Triaging:¬†Firefox 23 Beta 7 testday¬†and Unconfimed bug Triage. This week I’ve also started collecting all the info and useful links to triage on Windows, that is not my mainly platform. I’ve noticed that my experience on windows triaging is in inverse proportion to the percentage of bug filled for Firefox on Window. So this week I’ve started collecting info and useful links to triage on Windows,too. On our bugmasters mailing list I’ve created a post ad hoc¬†to collect opinions, suggestions and info about that. Feel free to take part in the topic. This week there has been the SUMO Bug Day. I’ve looked at Question component of bug of support.mozilla.org product.
    readme_triaging
  • Triaging Training Montage:¬†Keeping on working on the idea of One bugzilla per child¬†this week I’ve created a content mission for bug triage. My mentor told me about a useful tool created by Josh Matthews and using his project as starting point I’ve created one for bugmasters and other community members,too. The source code is available on github while an initial deployed version is on my site reachable at this address. A linear and simplified diagram of the triaging process is the ¬†one on the right side.

Here there is a report of my activities listing the triage work done during last week.

Developer Activity

This week I’ve implemented some queries in my Bugmasters Extension based on the projects listed in the¬†Bugmasters Project Page. I’ve added some queries with the number of bugs ¬†for each one. Some screenshots of the addon is here built until now. The select drop down menu contains other useful option to search for specific bugs based on the mail user

Select options

Bugmaster Addon

Weekly Update

My OPW internship with Mozilla is going on. I’ve started my weekly meetings with my mentor, and I ¬†hope I’ll improve my English communication skills, as well. ūüėÄ

QA Activity

This weeks I’ve worked on bug triaging, I took part at the

I’ve also decided to learn more about Bugzilla and bug’s lifecycle. As for what I think the first important thing to do when approaching Bugzilla and Triaging and, goal of my ¬†work as bug wrangler as well, is understand:

  1. the tool you are using and how you can improve other to better and quickly learn it;I’ve started learning more about Bugzilla, reading docs, wiki, asking for info on IRC :). Under the idea of my mentor I’ve begun by sketching some ideas for¬†One bugzilla per Child project,¬†a project to set up training missions for new bugzilla.mozilla.org users. I’ve started exploring technologies and contents to add for some training missions¬†about basic bugzilla use, and bug triage.
  2. how you can improve triaging work and let other approach to do the same.¬†I’ve started exploring bugzilla query searches, reporters and developers activities; I’ve looked at a lot of bugs and read comments, whiteboard flags, looked at bug’s reporting dates, bug’s modification dates, time within which reporters are available to answer and add more info to the bugs, and I’ve estimated that there is a range of bugs, Middle-aged Bugs,¬†that haven’t been changed recently, but were reported within the last 6 months. Triaging them may find good, relevant bugs. It can also help clear out invalid bugs!¬†During these weeks I’ve focused my attentions on these bugs, starting from an initial set of bugs around 405, and I’ve started triaging them. I’ve also worked on how to generalize some simple steps to follow for triaging these bugs and help other approaching this Bugmaster Project and the result is here. After two weeks the number of bugs is decreased to 380 ( some of them are now resolved as INVALID,INCOMPLETE or WORKSFORME, other bugs are now NEW and a lot of others bugs are still waiting for replay from the reporter of needs-replication).

Here there is a report of my activities listing the triage work done during last week.

Developer Activity

This week I’ve started implementing some initial queries for my Bugmater extension:

  • I’ve created an online version of the addon that can be quickly test and installed,
  • I’ve set up initial Bugzilla queries to search for¬†user created bugs, user assigned bugs and bugs where a user is qa contact and user info.
  • I’ve explored other possible queries for better supporting bugmasters works.